[Gllug] Modem emulator

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Mon May 10 12:06:07 UTC 2010

The scenario:

Home network's fancy router has a (56k) modem on it plugged directly
into the phone line (actually it doesn't but the fact that Martin has
one reminds me that I ought to get one).

While out, the house's connection to the internet breaks for whatever
reason. Hoping it isn't the router itself, I pull out my mobile phone,
dial my modem's number and ... hear screeching because I don't have a
modem on this end.

Is there software available which can use the mobile network to send
modem traffic? Is the codec even capable of it?

Alternatively, is there some other way to connect to the home (or some
other) network when the ultra-reliable-unlike-19th-century-POTS DSL
fails, other than an outgoing IP-based connection from the router using
the modem?

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk