[Gllug] Proposed broadband improvements

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri May 14 14:07:20 UTC 2010

On Friday 14 May 2010, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 01:19:07PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> > On Thu 13 May, Jason Clifford wrote:
> > > PSTN doesn't need fibre. The switch to IP for PSTN happens at the
> > > exchange. It doesn't make sense to push that out to the cabinet.
> >
> >    I have been told that a major problem at my local exchange is that
> > they have run out of duct space, so there could be a great advantage in
> > doing the conversion in the local cabinet, apart from the savings of
> > copper. PSTN is now carried over the "new 21st Century" network, and
> > there are already some of the new huge blocks of flats scheduled to be
> > built in this area, all requiring new lines.
>
> Surprised that they say they've run out of space.  I would have
> thought if your exchange was built in the era of the old
> electromechanical exchanges then advances since then would have freed
> up lots of space, even given new housebuilding.

He said "duct space" - the size of cables hasn't changed too much, and the
number of connections has multiplied, so it doesn't matter how much space
there is for kit if the underground ducting is rammed tight (not that it could
be, of course!)

Dx

--
“ ‘... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...’ ”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk