[Gllug] conversion from WinXP to Linux

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Wed May 5 09:57:43 UTC 2010

On 5 May 2010 07:54, t.clarke <tim at seacon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have a number of PCs in the office running XP  (and even a couple running
> ME or 98 !) and I would like to convert them over to Linux.
>
> The big sticking points in getting people to accept something other than Windows
> (at least as far as we are concerned) seems to be:
> a) replacement for Excel
> b) replacement for Word
> c) printer driver support  (we use Kyocera lasers)
> d) scanner support
> e) graphical ftp client

If your users are happy as they are, why change anything?
If you still have Windows 98, you are probably using some rather old PCs.

If I was you, I would do a survey of what users actually do on their
PCs, and then classify the users into groups based on what they use on
their PC.
Then select a subset of users to move to Linux. This subset would be
the users that would be least impacted by the changes.
If that trial goes well, gradually select more users to move over to Linux.

Changing the OS is quite a big move. Those old PCs might not be fast
enough to run the latest Ubuntu releases that have animated desktops
etc.
You might want to look at distributions designed to be used on lower
performing PCs.
I expect that the R
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk