[Gllug] FTP / network corruption?

Luis M. Cruz luismcv at gmail.com
Fri May 28 14:27:50 UTC 2010

On 28 May 2010 14:25, Simon Perry <gllug at si-designs.co.uk> wrote:

> Apart from this binary file corruption the machine seems to be fine.
> What do you think the cause of the corruption is?

  Because both the ftp and http services show the same problem, it
sounds like some kind of hardware corruption. TCP/IP and ethernet
checksums are not infallible and sometimes don't detect some types of
corruption. The problem could be anywhere in the network between
server and clients. I would try from another computer in the same
switch the server is (or even connecting a computer directly to the
server's card if you can afford to disconnect it for a few minutes).
If you still hit the problem, then it's probably the switch (or the
server's network card if you skipped the switch too). It it works,
then you'll have to go through all the other network segments until
you find the culprit. Good luck!

Luis M. Cruz <luismc at fraggelrock.com>
PGP keyIDs: 0x6848D470 (DSS) / 0x255E9505 (RSA)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk