[Gllug] A little OT: On the limits of VLANs

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sun May 9 21:49:21 UTC 2010

--------

Nix writes:

>I don't see a bug about requiring X client libraries.

I do. The bloat (and there's a lot, because modern apps no longer just
use Xlib/Xt) means there's an increased attack surface, and makes the
machine significantly more complex to keep secure. Running a yum/apt
update typically brings countless package changes when X is involved.
Changes are the enemy of stability, and are thus to be minimized on a
server. The less that's installed, the less that needs to be kept up
to date. Furthermore, when I get a support call and I'm in the pub,
I can't fix it on my mobile phone if it requires X. If I can ssh in
and fix it on the command line, then it's fine. Also, GUI apps don't
work over a serial console, and are thus undesirable on a server. Yes,
maybe I'm seen as a dinosaur for having such views, but I acquired
them through many (painful) years of experience.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk