[Gllug] OT: Replace old model WD Raptor with new within CentOS

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed May 26 07:33:14 UTC 2010

On 25 May 2010, t. clarke verbalised:
> If RAID is goin to be extremely picky and demand identical discs it has a major
> design flaw in my view,

Some hardware RAID controllers (such as my Areca controller) have a
'truncate all disks to integer multiple of $SIZE' option, often measured
in Gb, to ameliorate this.

>                  since discs (and computer stuff in general) get revised/
> replaced at very frequent intervals these days and a few years (or less) down
> the line you invariably can't find the same disc on sale any more.

If you end up with lots of wildly different disks, use software RAID to stitch
them together. It doesn't *care* where its block devices come from. Disks,
partitions, the network: it all works.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk