[Gllug] conversion from WinXP to Linux

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed May 5 08:08:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 07:54 +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> The big sticking points in getting people to accept something other than Windows
> (at least as far as we are concerned) seems to be:
> a) replacement for Excel
> b) replacement for Word

Those are fairly meaningless criteria. You need to specify what you use
Excel and Word for - which features you use and need. You also need to
consider the extent to which you need to be exchange documents with
others who use the Microsoft products.

Whether you can reasonably expect to be able to switch to Linux based
alternatives will depend upon what you really want.

> c) printer driver support  (we use Kyocera lasers)

Which ones?

> d) scanner support

Which scanners? I've used quite a few and had no problems.

> e) graphical ftp client

Loads of these around.

> Any advice/suggestions gratefully received  - also what would be the 'best'
> distribution to use as a replacement for XP beraing in mind the users are
> pretty much computer-illiterate?

The distro isn't as important as how you configure it - they will
essentially only be using as much of X plus whatever wm you give them.

Jason

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk