[Gllug] Open Source Hardware User Group meeting on Thursday.

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Thu May 13 18:09:41 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 13:40 +0100, Nix wrote:
> On 13 May 2010, Matthew King said:
>
> > "general_email at technicalbloke.com" <general_email at technicalbloke.com>
> > writes:
> >
> >> buttons in your PayPal account? Howabout harmless looking links that
> >> reset your routers DNS to a malicious server in the Ukraine via it's web
> >> interface?
> >
> > ObPedant: It's Ukraine, not the Ukraine (or even The Ukraine).
>
> Not true, or at the very least debatable. See page 517 of the _Cambridge
> Grammar of the English Language_, which you almost certainly haven't got
> a copy of ;)

Ukrainians are quite likely to find the term "the Ukraine" at best
archaic or maybe mildly offensive (much in the way I find someone, in
reference to Ireland, talking of "the mainland" and meaning Britain and
not Eurasia :)  or Afro-Eurasia as someone here is now bound to point
out...) or even rude...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk