[Gllug] Germans are all ISPs

Ian Kirker ian.kirker at gmail.com
Thu May 20 12:21:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-19 at 00:53 +0100, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> It is my understanding that the Digital Economy Bill states that the
> subscriber is liable for any and all violations committed using their
> account so although security isn't a legal requirement if anyone misuses
> your connection you can't expect to have "somebody else did it"
> available as a defence.

I only joined yesterday, and just flicked through the archive to
check, but I didn't see any mention of a workaround suggested by a guy
who works at AAISP:

http://revk.www.me.uk/2010/04/dont-secure-your-wifi.html

And the later advice from that ISP:
http://aaisp.net.uk/legal-cp.html

As I understand it, the steps basically go: open a wifi router (not
necessarily one that provides access to useful places at useful
speeds); register yourself as a 'communications provider' with your
ISP - this means you're no longer a 'subscriber', and as such, your
ISP cannot count, keep record of, or take action due to notices they
receive about you.

Standard "I am not a lawyer" disclaimers and such.

-Ian
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk