[Gllug] OT: Replace old model WD Raptor with new within CentOS 4 RAID system?

tid td at bloogaloo.co.uk
Tue May 25 08:14:16 UTC 2010

On 25 May 2010 00:04, gvim <gvimrc at googlemail.com> wrote:

> "For the RAID to properly work, you need to replace the drive with the same
> drive model and firmware, otherwise the RAID will be dropping."

Yep: It pays dividends if you can get the client to buy spare disks at the
time of purchase and stick them on a shelf. I've seen a few situations ( as
described) where newer disks had one sector less than the original and
couldn't be used.

It does open up the somewhat debateable question as to whether disks on
shelves are likely to not work after 5 years of sitting on a
shelf, but my response to that is to check they work, then put them in an
airtight box.

Tid