[Gllug] Programming for performance on Linux

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Wed May 12 17:09:04 UTC 2010

> I have an application where I receive 100 byte packets, one after the other.
>  [...snip...]
> I am trying to work out how best to utilize a Quad core x86 CPU for
> this processing task so that the most amount of packets can be
> processed per second.

Donald Knuth made the following two statements on optimization:
 - "We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the
time: premature optimization is the root of all evil"
 - "In established engineering disciplines a 12 % improvement, easily
obtained, is never considered marginal and I believe the same
viewpoint should prevail in software engineering"

- Walter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk