[Gllug] Wireless issue

Richard LEGER richard.leger at gmail.com
Sat May 29 13:29:26 UTC 2010

Roger,

Thanks for your help.
Would you also know tools or process to test if a processor is damaged ?

Sometime I am wondering if the overall problem is not due to a processor
issue but can't really tell... I am wondering if it did not go into overheat
and got damaged... when running videos it run at 100% at all time and after
a file video freeze... I have to pause few seconds for cpu usage to diminish
and run video again... which slowly increase cpu usage over time...

I definitely use linux to test this as well. If you have any tips for this
particular issue they are welcomed :)

> Boot it into a recent linux live CD. If the hardware is detected (fair
> chance as it's intel) then see if you have similar problems, if you do
> then you have a hardware problem - check the antenna are well connected
> to the card (easily reached under a small panel on the bottom of most
> laptops, there should be a black and a white wire attached) and try
> reseating the card in it's slot, if that doesn't work you're looking at
> a replacement.

Excellent tip I will look into this... sometime you really need somebody to
tell you the obvious !
Ok. I hadn't thought about this (don't ask me why I don't know ! Or maybe
because in the past I have yet manage to have linux start and work properly
on the laptop...).

> If you don't have any problems under linux then it's a software problem.

I don't know what I did not thought about this earlier :)
Hopefully the card will be detected and working well from start under
linux...

Reboot into Windows and try removing all the intel software (their wifi
> manager s/w is a waking nightmare anyway).

Well I did update the driver but did not tried to remove fully and resintall
from scratch.
Further I did install the Intel manager because I think I had already
encountered this issue with the Windows manager and thought it would solve
but I don't recall...

> This should remove the driver
> too but if it doesn't remove it via device manager. If it keeps finding
> and reinstalling the device anyway use this guide to kill the driver by
> hand, you want to be at the stage where it's bringing up the add new
> hardware wizard. Then fully reboot the machine TWICE. Install the latest
> WiFi driver you can find via the add new hardware wizard i.e. DO NOT
> reinstall the Intel WiFI management app! The built in Windows one is
> fine and often less troublesome than the OEM ones. If the driver and
> software come all bundled as one big .exe often 7Zip can unpack it into
> it's consituent files which you can then point the wizard at to just
> install the driver.

I will follow you method... and maybe I'll try also with not the last
updated driver see if it may come from driver itself...

> If that still doesn't sort it reinstall Windows (or
> just ditch it!)

I must admit Windows I may think that windows needs to be resintall on the
machine... it is not working very well in general and it has been too long
(years) since windows has been installed ... and crashed sometime to time :)
I tested memory and hdd and they seems ok.

Well, I am still thinking about installing Linux... but I keep Windows
simply :
- because my previous test with Linux on this laptop were not successfull...
so far... know that I know more about it I will try again...
- because I have to dig into the issue more closely but don't have time at
the moment...
- because I am not the only one using it and some people are sometime
irritated and not confident in Linux enough to have the systeme they know
replaced... (I am working on this issue... it might end up installing linux
with Windows or even Apple look and feel without bugs, no just kidding, I
just need to make sure all material fully work before doing so... :)
- because sometime I need to test things on Windows or with Windows... ==>
but with virtual machines, this is not really a reason :)

> or try a new wifi card, they're pretty cheap.

I have to look into this, I am not sure how this is possible.
I am not very hardware guy... another thing I have to look into.

> Regards & good luck,

Thanks. Your tips open me to know horizon of research and action to solve
those issues...
Sometime I just don't think about the obvious and hurt myself in a dead end
wall :)
This distribution list is a really great source of inspiration and to learn
new way of solving the most tricky IT issues ... mainly those linked to
tedious hardware issues... :)

R.