[Gllug] conversion from WinXP to Linux

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Wed May 5 09:53:50 UTC 2010

On 05/05/10 07:54, t.clarke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have a number of PCs in the office running XP  (and even a couple running
> ME or 98 !) and I would like to convert them over to Linux.
>
> The big sticking points in getting people to accept something other than Windows
> (at least as far as we are concerned) seems to be:
> a) replacement for Excel
> b) replacement for Word
> c) printer driver support  (we use Kyocera lasers)
> d) scanner support
> e) graphical ftp client
>
> Whilst these need not be the same, they do need equivalent functionality.
> In particular, I have been running OpenOffice on an XP machine and the
> document loading speed is absolutely apalling. I assume its because its a
> Java application (???).   Is this the same with Linux, or just a Win problem?
> Also, does OpenOffice handle the new 'gzipped' style of Excel documents (most
> of our stuff is on Office95 I think,  but we receive spreadsheets/documents
> created using the lastest MSOffice incarnation).

The latest (3.2) version of Open Office is a bit faster. The reason that
MS Office appears faster is that it's partially loaded at boot time and
stays in memory, slowing down every other application. I've noticed some
compatibility issues with the beta version of MS Office 2010, it seems
to be a bug in the Microsoft code. There may be layout issues when you
edit documents using some Microsoft fonts (such as Tahoma) on a Linux
system and you can't legitimately use those fonts on a Linux system even
though it's possible to copy the font files from a Windows machine to a
Linux box.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com