[Gllug] component level repair (was Open Source Hardware User Group meeting)

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Tue May 11 17:59:55 UTC 2010

tid wrote:
> On 9 May 2010 00:19, general_email at technicalbloke.com
> <general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
>

>> Yeah I think it's because most probs are quite simple and just need a
>> little bit of solder reflowing and stuff.
>>

> Funnily enough, I've been having a problem with a HPjetdirect card and
> wikipedia says:
>
>  "Functionality can be restored in most cases by removing plastic end
> and heating it component side up in an oven at 400 degrees F. for 5
> minutes"
>
> Tid

Yes I have heard several similar stories but I wouldn't dare try it on
any of my customers hardware! Apparently several people have met with
success baking the motherboards of their (notoriously flaky) HP DVx000
series laptops in a normal domestic oven though, the original problem
being the graphics chips solder connections fatiguing and breaking
because of excess heat followed by repeated cooling.

Apparently the trick is adding a healthy dose of flux and getting the
temperature just right, IIRC 205 degrees C so make sure you get an oven
thermometer as most ovens thermostats aren't very accurate and the
difference between the top and bottom shelves can be as much as 20
degrees even with a fan. I suppose a grill might work even better.

This by no means constitutes professional advice BTW!

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk