[Gllug] Diagnosing hardware faults

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sun Nov 28 21:55:41 UTC 2010

On Sun 28 Nov, John Edwards wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 06:35:45PM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 05:39:41PM +0000, Tethys wrote:
> >>
> >> I believe one of my machines to have developed a hardware fault.
> >> It intermittently[1] exhibits one of three behaviours:
> >
> > Can you get a console on it (non GUI), anything appear as it dies ?
>
> VGA consoles can die before you see any error messages, so
> hooking up a serial console to a remote machine and getting
> the kernel and syslog to send important logs there can help.
>
> The Shuttle boxes are small and some do not have good air flow,
> especially around the hard drive. Running lmsensors and hddtemp
> at regular intervals could spot any heat problems.
>
> The other possibilities are CPU, motherboard, RAM (memtest will
> not catch errors that occur under load) and the PSU. Of these
> the most likely to fail is the PSU. If you are lucky then you
> may have a motherboard where lmsensors can monitor voltages.

   If it is an overheating problem would it suffer in the same manner as
laptop graphics processors, which can unsolder themselves from the
motherboard? Friends of mine 1st Components in Park Royal may be able to
help, www.1stcomponents.com.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk