[Gllug] So, that's the end of that, then

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Tue Nov 23 13:36:11 UTC 2010

For some reason, this image comes to mind:

  http://valessiobrito.info/tmp/promocards/PromoCard02.jpg

along with the statue's inscription:

  ... "Give me your tired, your poor,
       Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free. ..."

;-)

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 17:03:14 +0000, John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:
> As someone who manages some hefty SuSE systems, and has been
> trumpeting how good SuSE is in high performance computing
> for the last 7 years or so, I expect real soon now soem assurances on
> the future.

I know I've suggested this a few times over the years, but perhaps now
is finally the time for SuSE to become a Debian derivative.

SuSE could maintain its existing character, with the features that make
its users prefer it, whilst eliminating much of the duplicated effort
involved in making a distro.

Debian would get some new contributors as a side effect, and would
presumably get some of the high performance goodness that you
appreciate, which would then give users a relatively painless exit-route
if whichever corporation owns the SuSE name turns evil at some point.

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. Some people might think that it would make more sense for them to
collaborate with an RPM based distro if they wanted to do something like
that, but all the RPM distros are in some way attached to SuSE's
commercial competition, so that would be a silly thing to do.