[Gllug] Dealing with "Word-Only" organisations

Martin N Stevens budgester at budgester.com
Mon Nov 8 09:02:25 UTC 2010

On 8 November 2010 08:32, Philip Hands <phil at hands.com> wrote:

> Government should instead concentrate on standardising data interchange
> formats, such as specifying the format that all health systems in the
> country be capable of import/exporting and let individual organisations
> buy whatever they like, as long as the vendor provides something that is
> capable of interacting with the (preferably Free Software) reference
> system(s).

This is kinda what happens in schools, Data is transfered between schools using

CTF

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/management/ims/datatransfers/CTF/

This is a plain text xml file, and allows a students results, personal
information and attendance to follow them around between schools.

A termly school return is also done reporting back to the LA and then
onto the DCSF.

I can give more information but tbh it can get really tedious.

Then there is the centralised stuff like the LGFL which supplies all
the school in london with a Virtual Learning Environement (Fronter).

Why London decided on Fronter when moodle is a far better solution I
will never know, but by having this big centralised installation of
fronter, removes a lot of flexibility from individual schools on how
they use this technology, and also means that it is next to
impossible/un cost effective to link authentication credentials.

I can rant on about secondary education IT for hours if you want.

Regards

Budgester
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk