[Gllug] Dealing with "Word-Only" organisations

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Fri Nov 12 15:23:51 UTC 2010

On 2010-11-12 15:20, David Damerell wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 Nov 2010, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>> No, it's not an either or thing. Universities raison d'etre shouldn't be
>> to turning out as much cubicle fodder as fast as possible, but neither
>> should they be about churning out streams of completely hapless
>> academics.
>
> Someone who knows "how to learn", as Nix specifically put it, is
> hardly completely hapless.
>
>> Some real world skills are useful, insisting on some weird
>> concept of academic purity is both elitist and unpragmatic, you remind
>> me of the pure maths snobs who look down on the applied maths people
>> becasue they choose to sully themselves by interacting with the real world.
>
> This is a ridiculous straw man. Hardy was joking, you know.

It's a useful way to flush out people with ... curious ... ideas about
the world, though...

(goes back to applying skills learned from understanding proofs in group
theory to picking holes in contracts and writing grant proposals)

Oh: ObOnTopic: the said organisation came back to me and offered to test
a version of the form submitted from Open Office. No response to the
test, but still - some progress.

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadowrobot.com
managing director      251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/              @shadowrobot
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk