[Gllug] Confusion about the "Sender" field in email headers.

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Mon Nov 29 22:23:46 UTC 2010

Progga wrote:
>  Hi all, I am wondering if anybody can clear my confusion about the
>  "Sender" field in email headers.  My understanding is that this field
>  is required when an email server is sending an email on someone's
>  behalf.

The most recent RFC (5321) does not 'require' the use of a Sender field
in any circumstance; given that, MTAs and MUAs can put whatever they
like there, or nothing at all -- and so you cannot assume anything about
that field's contents, least of all that it complies to a standard.

That changes your question to one about the differences between Drupal
and Linkedin when viewed after gmail's filters have had a say. As all 3
are opaque and subject to change without notice, I'm not sure where to
get it answered!

Cheers,
--
Alistair