[Gllug] hourly/daily rate for linux systems admins?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Nov 23 13:34:40 UTC 2010

hi Jason,

On 11/23/2010 01:03 PM, Jason Clifford wrote:
>> who came to the interview was unable to confirm how many IP address's a
>> single eth interface can host. While another instantly confirmed : 254.
>
> Wrong!

Indeed, that's my point.

> I'm always rather surprised to see people lending any weight at all to
> such vague and meaningless questions in a recruitment process. This kind

Given that this outfit runs machines with 4k ip's would have no
relevance then ? If someone is going to answer a call for 'needs $clue
on how tcp/ip works on Linux', they should know or atleast be able to
test for such situations - or be able to research how some of the
buffers for the network stack are setup.

Btw, these guys also regularly run network stress tests and simulations
where they have up to 10k ipv4 live across a handful of machines.

> Did the first candidate at least answer that he did not know off hand
> but could tell you given a minute on a test box or with google?

yes, the first candidate did say he had no idea, but could look it up.
He then spent about 5 minutes on google without being able to find the
answer.

- KB
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk