[Gllug] hourly/daily rate for linux systems admins?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Thu Nov 25 16:42:42 UTC 2010

On 23/11/10 13:24, Steve Parker wrote:
> On 23/11/10 13:03, Jason Clifford wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2010-11-23 at 11:33 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>

>>> Eg. One person
>>> who came to the interview was unable to confirm how many IP address's a
>>> single eth interface can host. While another instantly confirmed : 254.
>>>

> In what circumstance do you expect a typical sysadmin to have come
> across this? I can not think of a sensibly-designed system which would
> have such a requirement

It's a fair question though, I would have thought the question is not
meant to garner a specific number as an answer, it's meant to test the
candidates understanding of the layers in a networking stack. If they
answer with a precise number it would indicate that they do not
understand that the hardware interface places no inherent limit on the
number of IP addresses, Ethernet itself is all ARPs and MACs, Internet
Protocol is handled further up the stack so the correct answer would be
that it varies depending on what OS and which drivers/kernel you are
running.

Or would I flunk the interview too?

Anyway, I think it's fair to ask questions that make the applicant
reason the answer rather than simply knowing it, it probes their
knowledge and talent far more succinctly and time is money. Not to say
the ability to learn facts by rote isn't useful too but I'd contend less
important than ability to learn and adapt.

Roger

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk