[Gllug] Broadand in London without phone land line

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Wed Nov 3 19:08:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 10:37 +0000, Lucian wrote:

> Imho, the only real ISP in London is BE (bethere.co.uk). And even with
> them you might not get a quality connection because of the old
> infrastructure, but at least they're trying.
> The rest are just, well, living in another world, severe capping (at
> times) and ridiculous upload speeds (always). UK is lagging with about
> 10 years behind (some parts of) Europe when it comes to internet
> quality, unfortunately...

When I found that Virgin (on the ridiculous) couldn't actually provide
the service they advertised, I went with BE.  This necessitated
returning my phone line to BT, which was achieved painlessly and with
only momentary loss of service.  BT welcomed me back with all sorts of
bundled cheap deals for calling, and the package I'm on works out
significantly cheaper than any other with the calling profile I have.
My phone calls now cost about 40% of the price I paid to Virgin.

BE have been flawless.  On the two occasions I've needed to use their
Technical Support, they've been friendly, clueful and entirely helpful.
I get ~18 - 22 Mb service (over twice as fast as Virgin's bogus "fibre"
service), get a static IP (which has been useful), truly unlimited
service, and it costs much less than Virgin.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk