[Gllug] How to check if module is in kernel ?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Nov 15 14:33:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 12:57:44PM +0100, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> What about looking in /proc/kallsyms ? Is that standard ?

No.  It can be configured out of the kernel, and a number of small
distros do this because it adds considerable overhead.

What is wrong with doing this the right way, like I said in my
previous email?

> With the module loaded, I see e.g.:
>
> ffffffffa0b42478 t cleanup_module	[vloopback]

... and you shouldn't depend on specific details of kernel internals
(although TBH 'cleanup_module' seems unlikely to change since it's
been named that since Linux first had kernel modules).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat