[Gllug] Samsung Galaxy Tab

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Tue Nov 16 19:02:45 UTC 2010

On 15/11/10 16:54, Rob Crowther wrote:
> On 15/11/10 16:34, John Levin wrote:
>
>> Has anyone got one? Or tried one?
>>
> My brother has one and loves it.  My feeling is it's about two inches
> too small for a general browsing device so I'm waiting for a 9-10" version.
>

>> And does anyone know if there are any efforts to put other distros upon it?
>>

> I'm not sure about other distros, there is a active community around
> building custom Android images for all the devices - flashing the ROM is
> fairly straightforward.  Also, all the developer tools work well on
> Linux (not that I've used them on the Tab, but I have played around with
> them on my HTC Desire).
>
> Rob

Careful though, I have heard rumour some of the newer android handsets
deliberately prevent you re-flashing with your own images, they'll only
run images signed by the OEM. I've no idea which ones do this and the
rumours could be bullshit but it's far from inconceivable so its
probably worth checking that before making a purchase. That's exactly
the kind of thing the GPL V3 is meant to prevent but sadly neither the
kernel nor android use the V3 license :/

Roger
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk