[Gllug] hourly/daily rate for linux systems admins?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Nov 25 12:15:59 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 11/24/2010 09:43 AM, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 00:30 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> iotop has been fairly widespread for a few years now, main line 2.6.20+
>> have i/o accounting( so mid 2007 ? );
> Two and a half years is not really a very long time though, is it? If
> someone has had the luxury of running systems which are well spec'd for

Sure, I agree on that. However, in this role the spec called for
experience on a platform that has had this in production use for a while
- most applicants carried in valid certification for the platform.

> pushed as part of the normal production process. Unless a site had
> particular issues with IO at that time is it really likely that the
> admins would have had recourse to this?
> Do you really expect people to be trying out every new feature even if
> they don't find that they need it?

That's right, but when put into a situation where there is a problem,
they are told about the resource and when they are informed that they
are being evaluated for process and methodology along with actual
technical ability; I would expect them to at least make a reasonable
effort in the right direction.

- KB
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk