[Gllug] Diagnosing hardware faults

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sun Nov 28 17:39:41 UTC 2010

I believe one of my machines to have developed a hardware fault.
It intermittently[1] exhibits one of three behaviours:

- Spontaneous reboot
- Hung machine, {caps,num}lock LEDs work, magic SysRq works
- Hung machine, {caps,num}lock LEDs don't work, magic SysRq doesn't work

In all three cases, there is nothing in the logs, and I mean
literally nothing. The last thing logged will frequently have
been several hours before the hang/reboot. Nothing has changed
in terms of software. No new installs/updates for months. Which
leads me to think it's probably hardware.

It's had over 24 hours of memtest86+ without a fault, so it's
probably not that. Any ideas what I should be looking at next,
short of a new machine? It's a shuttle XPC, rather than a
standard PC, so not much hope of swapping out components until
I find one that's broken.

Tet

[1] Originally, once every few days. That's now worsened, and it's
    rare to get more than a couple of hours out of it before it fails.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk