[Gllug] Dealing with "Word-Only" organisations

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 8 10:01:12 UTC 2010

On 8 November 2010 01:33, general_email at technicalbloke.com
<general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:

> Yes I never said it wasn't, but the point I was originally making is
> that the technology just wasn't there for the government to get carried
> away with. It simply wasn't cheap enough to deploy widely, unix
> workstations cost easily ten times as much as PC clones. The only boxes
> they could practically deploy to end users like council offices and
> hospitals in the mid 90s were PCs running early Microsoft operating
> systems

Well, medical imaging (CT scans, MRI scans, PET Scans) were being
reported on by radiologists
running Solaris workstations at the time, but as you say for general
deployment PCs were much cheaper.

I remember buying a PC from my projects budget, for use by radiographers.
The big hoo-hah was over whether or not it would get nicked - so we
commisioned a lockable steel cage to go round
it, and I got a technician to bolt it on top of a filing cabinet.
That was not a one off - that company did good sales in the health
service market at the time.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk