[Gllug] Dealing with "Word-Only" organisations

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Nov 10 15:17:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 10:49:15PM +0000, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> On 09/11/10 20:59, Nix wrote:
> > On 8 Nov 2010, general told this:
> >
> >> PS: My tutors thought it was a good idea to teach us ML instead of C,
> >> thanks guys that was soooo useful!
> >>
> > Excellent idea. It's a very different language from any you're likely to
> > learn anywhere else, with some superb ideas in it, so it ensures that
> > you learn at least two very different languages from different parts of
> > the language family tree.
>
> That's fine in theory but in practice, compared to the imperative coding
> I was used and OO coding I was being introduced to I found ML so oblique
> and practically useless as to be nothing but frustrating, plus the book
> cost £50 I could ill afford at the time. I'm still not convinced it has
> any use at all in the real world.

It took me a year or two of OCaml to realize that everything I learned
about OO was wrong and an active hindrance to writing good,
maintainable code.  I now rarely use any OO technique.

Can't help you with the cost of the book though, sorry :-(
The OCaml online tutorial that I wrote is free.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat