[Gllug] Trends in programming

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Nov 11 22:57:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 02:39:19PM -0800, Walter Stanish wrote:
> >> Nomination for the best random modelling tool that people possibly
> >> haven't heard of - mscgen:
> >>   http://www.mcternan.me.uk/mscgen/
> >
> > Ooo, that looks nice. Another thing to add to graphviz, metapost and
> > xypic in my attempt to never ever have to diagram anything by hand.
>
> I use graphviz too where appropriate, which is almost-never.  When
> you need it it's a gem though!  The great thing about it is that you
> can use it to do protocol structure diagrams, ala TCP/IP Illustrated.
> You can achieve them by using type = record and 'cell1 | cell2 | cell3'
> in your output.
>
> Interesting, I hadn't heard of metapost or xypic, though the joy of
> LyX 2.0 (still in beta) when set up with XeTeX (for TTF font support)
> is guiding me further in to LaTeX these days.  I get the impression
> that much of TeX is used near-exclusively by academics of
> mathematics and closely related disciplines.

PGF/TikZ is also worth a look.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/PGF/TikZ

Those with moderate memories may recall the talk I gave earlier this
year which used diagrams done with this PGF/TikZ.

https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2010/03/19/gllug-talk-on-libguestfs-18th-march-2010/

Rich.

--
Richard Jones