[Gllug] hourly/daily rate for linux systems admins?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Nov 23 11:33:07 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 11/21/2010 02:53 PM, JLMS wrote:
>> completely inverse. There are a fair few sysadmin jobs going with very
>> few $cluefull applicants around. I know at-least three companies looking
> Argh, sorry, but if you can't get 2 people out of  60 applicants maybe
> you have to start to get a hard look back at yourself as a company.

Thats possible, but on the other hand  the reason why those guys didn't
get selected is also interesting. Most of the guys who came through
either wanted to only work 2 or 3 days a week, didn't want to do on-call
and/or were asking for more money than they are worth. Eg. One person
who came to the interview was unable to confirm how many IP address's a
single eth interface can host. While another instantly confirmed : 254.
I don't think either of them deserve the 50k on offer!

fwiw, the company has now confirmed two junior'ish guys instead of one
senior person for a salary total of 70k

> If the situation is so dire regarding talent (it isn't, send me their
> details and I'll put them in touch with Senior SAs eager to work, they
> are emigrating out of the UK because they can''t find work here)

One feeling I always get is that perhaps this 'talent' isn't accessible
easily and the 'people' that head hunters, recruitment agents and
mailing lists turn up just aren't quite 'there' yet.

- KB
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk