[Gllug] hourly/daily rate for linux systems admins?

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Tue Nov 23 16:33:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 2:06 PM, - Tethys <tethys at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > He should be aware that there can be several IP addresses per MAC.
> > Quite how many - not important, the most that I have seen is about
> > 6 on an intereface.

Your default router receives packets for every IP on the same MAC.

> I've seen many more than that in real world use. I think the most was
> about 60 or so. One of our servers here has 16 at the moment.

I've got a couple of servers with 200 ethernet aliases (SSL vhosts).
Admitidly they're not all in use yet.. but they are configured.

I'm sure there's some way you could rig up linux to arp and respond for
every IP in the IPv4 space (like a netmask of 0.0.0.0) so I guess we can say
it's impossible to have more than 4294967296 IPv4 IPs.

You'd also need to subtract various unusable parts such as 0.0.0.0/8
127.0.0.0/8 and the multicast networks.. so maybe somewhere around
4227858432 IPs.

Rob