[Gllug] Dealing with "Word-Only" organisations

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Sat Nov 13 13:12:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 07:28:04PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> This is easily illustrated by a little graph which I shamelessly
> borrowed from http://philip.greenspun.com/careers/
>
> Hope you're all using mutt or a mail client with monospace fonts...
>

>            THIS IS YOUR EDUCATION, THIS IS YOUR SALARY
>      !
>  $50K!
>      !                                          **
>      !                                        **  *
>  $40K!                                      **     *    Any Questions?
>      !                                    **        *
>      !                               *****           *
>  $30K!                           ****                 *
>      !                       ****                      *
>      !                  *****                           *
>  $20K!             *****                                 *
>      !        *****                                       *
>      !     ***                                             *
>  $10K!  ***                                                 *
>      !**                                                     *
>      !                                                        *
>    0
>    +--------+----------+-----------+------------+---------+--*--------->
>
>      no       high       some        Bachelor's   Master's  Doctor
>      high     school     college     Degree       Degree    of
>      school   diploma                                       Philosophy
>      diploma

In my experience, the same graph can be applied to the profits of
companies which employ them at senior levels.  I recently had the
unhappy experience of watching a company being run into the ground by
one of the executive directors, who actively disliked and moved to
thward anything that hinted at professional software engineering good
practice.  But hey, he had a Ph.D.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.