[Gllug] Gllug Digest, Vol 89, Issue 4

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Nov 2 17:58:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 05:49:28PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 03:01:59PM +0000, Richard LEGER wrote:
> > Bruce,
> >
> > Any chance you redo a similar presentation in 2010/2011 ?
> > That sounds interesting...
> >
> > Would you have your presentation available in digital format or any
> > interesting web reference on the subject ?
>
> I do have a set of articles I wrote for Linux Magazine, back in
> 2002/2003.  Should put them online, I suppose, but I'm happy to send
> them on.  They're a little out of date but not much; things move slowly
> in that kind of area.  Most Linux distributions are no better at
> kerberos integration now than in 2002, certainly.

On the server side, Fedora has come along way forward with the inclusion
of the FreeIPA project a few releases back now. Setting up a functional
Kerberos server, backed by an LDAP database, is as simple as running
'yum install ipa-server' followed by  'ipa-server-install' and confirming
answers to a couple of noddy questions like 'what is your FQDN', etc. I
got myself a KDC up & running with IPA in a matter of minutes with near
zero knowledge of either Kerberos or LDAP :-) Setting up a client is
similarly simple with 'ipa-client-install' (or the traditional
system-config-auth).

Regards,
Daniel