[Gllug] dd'ing a nearly empty disk to a SMALLER disk - is it possible?

Malcolm Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Fri Nov 5 21:11:47 UTC 2010

Thanks all. As the disk is so empty I would be very surprised if any
sectors have been written above the 300gb mark so I am going to
shrink /home to make a 300gb "disk" and dd that to the brand new 320gb
disk and then gparted that to take up the full size of the disk.

Seems the easiest route.

If there are any MS certification problems I will have to sort them out
as suggested but I transferred one fujitsu 40gb disk to a new 80gb disk
on another sibling machine from the same batch of 4 and never had a
problem. But then no one uses windows on the network, I've disabled
that, just for games like The Sims and so forth. All internal and
external networking is done on a reboot to Linux, mix of Linux Mint and
plain Ubuntu according to user preferences amongst the family.

Cheers

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk