[Gllug] The Virgin helpline is miss named.

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sun Nov 7 16:53:22 UTC 2010

On Sun 07 Nov, John Southall wrote:

> I have to say that the connection itself is excellent. I don't think
> that a telephone line service would match it as my home is a few miles
> away from the exchange. So I am reluctant to change provider, but I am
> angry.

   Virgin on the ridiculous have the reputation of being totally unable to
fix faults. It sounds as though they may be using a suspect analogue to
digital conversion linking to some cheap call centre across the world. I
gather they often contract out to OpenReach, the wholesale provider, for
cabling. Unfortunately almost all retail providers are working down to a
price rather than up to a quality, and BT Retail are possibly one of the
worst. Phil Hands who provides the UK.Debian.org website has suggested
getting a phone line through either The Post Ofice at www.postoffice.co.uk
or the PhoneCoop at www.thephone.coop, both apparently good and cheap.
   According to UKFSN, Fibre To The Cabinet will only supply an optional
improvement, to broadband only, and only at an increased price. Otherwise
existing connections will remain untouched, at least for the near future.
   I suggest you look at the BT website to see when FTTC is due in your
area, it may appear before the stated date, as the installation progresses.
My area is due to have FTTC available by the end of March 2011.
   I thought that BlueYonder is a BT address, which may not be available
once you move. I was able to access mail to overview.demon.co.uk for a short
while after I left Demon, but that was why I grabbed chrisbell.org.uk long
before I left Demon. Another option is to use something like gmail, but you
need to set up and announce any alternatives to friends and associates well
before the previous connection is lost.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk