[Gllug] Dealing with "Word-Only" organisations

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Nov 11 17:35:42 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, 10 Nov 2010, Walter Stanish wrote:
>Richard Jones:
>>It took me a year or two of OCaml to realize that everything I learned
>>about OO was wrong and an active hindrance to writing good,
>>maintainable code.  I now rarely use any OO technique.
>ANOTHER ONE!  This sentiment is echoed by many (but not all) of
>the veteran developers interviewed in Peter Seibel's book 'Coders at Work'.

Now I cannot claim to be a veteran developer. Far from it. But one
thing I am all too familiar with from the field of roguelike
development is the young fellow who just learned about OO in the last
few years and rushes in making everything a class whether it likes it
or not, because then writing a roguelike will be as easy as falling
off a log.

Generally at this point comedy ensues.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Oil is for sissies