[Gllug] hourly/daily rate for linux systems admins?

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 12:19:49 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 2:53 PM, JLMS <jjllmmss at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Argh, sorry, but if you can't get 2 people out of  60 applicants maybe
> you have to start to get a hard look back at yourself as a company.

Or perhaps the standard of applicants is simply too low. It does seem
that universities are churning out an endless stream of talentless morons
these days.

> maybe, just maybe, it is time for companies to lower their standards
> just a bit and be prepared to actually invest in the people they are
> hiring, or perhaps the money is not being commensurate with their
> expectations about the applicants

Companies don't always have the time and resources to train up
underskilled staff. I work for one such company, and we've rejected
countless applicants because they're simply not able to hit the
ground running. And it's not because we're offering too little.
They've been rejected on technical grounds before we even got as
far as discussing salary requirements. Maybe you're right, and we
should take a hard look at ourselves. But I simply don't think
that's where the problem lies. Nor do I think we should settle
for someone that's less suited for the role than we'd like, simply
because they happen to be the best of the 50 or so that have come
through the door. We're better off being short staffed for a bit
longer until we can find the right person.

Tet

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk