[Gllug] Scam

David L Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 21:03:33 UTC 2010

>> I think the bank has about 6 months to decide if the cheque is fake or not.
>> So, if you receive a check, and then you make a payment out from that money.
>> The bank can grab the check money back 6 months later, but you will
>> not get your payment out that you did back.
>> Conclusion:
>> Checks are not worth the paper they are written on.

=the above would rely upon the bank's (un)witting co-operation. These
days the banks look carefully at any ForEx transaction that runs a less
than smooth course (amongst other 'indicators') - as do a whole bunch of
computer systems that network with American accents... Thus repeated
requests for claw-back would draw attention and any such request
practically screams of money laundering!

> It seems that many of these scams use stolen genuine cheques, which are
> then washed to remove the original amounts and payee, so you are sent a
> cheque drawn against a real legitimate business, with a valid signature.

=and in this scenario, after banking the cheque 'you' have some money
(for however long) and the actual account holder is 'out'. Such is
relatively easily remedied - although it is likely that 'you' will
'enjoy' a visit from some polite, young (wo)men in blue uniforms during
such a process...

> The scammer just needs to get the victim to trust the "cleared" funds
> long enough for them to send the change, or whatever the supposed deal
> is.  When the fraud comes to light, possibly weeks later when the
> company notices a discrepancy when reconciling their bank statements,
> the fraudster is long gone, as is the victim's money.

=a scam along these lines is to send a cheque, not for the promised
£300,000 (was it?) but for considerably more, say substituting an "8" or
a "5" for the "3". You 'bank the cheque', as you would, but there is an
apparently valid reason for slow processing, eg less affluent
'correspondent bank' or currency exchanges - perhaps it's not actually
made out in sterling and/or goes through a USD bank...

=In the mean time, your very good, new, friend 'realises' the mistake,
blames some sweet, young floozy in his office, and then points out that
it would be a lot quicker if you were to 'refund' the excess directly.
Because everything has gone so smoothly you are anxious to prove that
you can behave with such kindness and so promptly (because after all,
you are SUCH a fine chap(ess)!

=However you probably don't know of the (extent of the) clearing delays
at this point, and 'he' will likely suggest that you remit the 'change'
to some 'other' convenient Sterling or Euro account - to save your time
and effort, grovel, apologise, smarm. This transaction will thus clear
at the speed of electrons and as soon as it does, will be 'washed'
through other 'fast-acting' accounts - take out your hankie and wave
goodbye... Bingo! (for 'him')

=and the bad news: later, when the problems in clearing the original
cheque wind their way to an inevitable (and sad) conclusion, you're down
by the sum of your pension plan - just as if you'd put it in the hands
of our politicians all along...

=Simple rule: if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

=Extension: if the salesman says it is THAT good, (as above, and...)
look for a FOSS alternative...

=Regards,
=dn

(no, I don't know all this from personal experience; and yes you
'security people' will recognise elements of the likes of
man-in-the-middle attacks in all of this)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk