[Gllug] Dealing with "Word-Only" organisations

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Fri Nov 12 19:28:04 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 06:28:16PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 03:20:28PM +0000, David Damerell wrote:
> > On Thursday, 11 Nov 2010, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> > >No, it's not an either or thing. Universities raison d'etre shouldn't be
> > >to turning out as much cubicle fodder as fast as possible, but neither
> > >should they be about churning out streams of completely hapless
> > >academics.
> >
> > Someone who knows "how to learn", as Nix specifically put it, is
> > hardly completely hapless.
>
> I do think there's some sort of curve here.  Once they get to PhD
> level, things can start to go wrong (or perhaps the people who keep
> going to PhD level were "hapless academics" in the first place :-)

This is easily illustrated by a little graph which I shamelessly
borrowed from http://philip.greenspun.com/careers/

Hope you're all using mutt or a mail client with monospace fonts...

           THIS IS YOUR EDUCATION, THIS IS YOUR SALARY
     !
 $50K!
     !                                          **
     !                                        **  *
 $40K!                                      **     *    Any Questions?
     !                                    **        *
     !                               *****           *
 $30K!                           ****                 *
     !                       ****                      *
     !                  *****                           *
 $20K!             *****                                 *
     !        *****                                       *
     !     ***                                             *
 $10K!  ***                                                 *
     !**                                                     *
   0

     no       high       some        Bachelor's   Master's  Doctor
     high     school     college     Degree       Degree    of
     school   diploma                                       Philosophy
     diploma

;-P

Regards,
Daniel