[Gllug] Recommendations for servers

tid td at bloogaloo.co.uk
Thu Nov 25 16:30:26 UTC 2010

On 25 November 2010 16:01, John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Talking about environmentals, the current fashion is containerised
> data centres. Lots of companies do these.
> I think one of the use cases is shipping lots of IT gear at short
> notice to hot, sandy places. Probably painted green.

Not least of all, google, who seem to do a lot. In a similar vein, A
few years ago I worked with a man who had done battlefield systems
Sysadmin work in the 1980s for the Us military. He had some
interesting stories about the setup he managed: it was 3 ruggedised
containers that were parachuted out of a plane and then he & a team of
3 others would parachute down, set up the system, and run it for a
couple of weeks without ever really knowing where they were.
Apparently, the containers would occasionally land in marshes, or on
their sides. Must have made for some fun. His next job was
administering Sun kit on Oil rigs, which he said was easier. He said
he occasionally had to call Sun Support from somewhere in the north
sea, and they always asked for a postcode. heh.

Tid.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk