[Gllug] dd and iotop weirdness

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 22:39:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 07:05:52PM +0000, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
<snip>
> What on earth is going on?

Iotop calculating I/O speed based on bad information?

Communication with drive sdb hung?

> Why should the write speeds be so far apart?

I don't believe any SATA drive is capable of 500MB/s, so sdb is likely
to be the problem.

> Where is iotop getting it's numbers from?

/proc/<proc-id>/io

> Why should starting ddrescue bump off a disk that isn't even referenced
> in its invocation?

Maybe communication problems with sdb caused a SATA bus reset?

> What log should I check to see what happed to it?

You should look at where the kernel messages go:

/var/log/syslog (Debian-like)
/var/log/messages (RedHat-like)
dmesg (for no syslog)

> Also, my caddy/mobo isn't hot swappable AFAIK but given it has
> disappeared from fdisk (and so presumably the kernel) is it safe to yank
> the dead drive out so I can put it in another machine and scan it for
> errors?

Probably not. It is likely to cause another bus reset. Just because
the kernel doesn't display it doesn't mean that the hardware is not
in use.

I would power off the machine, then only plug and wipe one of the
drives at each time.

Also if you want to securely wipe a drive then the 'wipe' program
is better than writing zeroes.