[Gllug] OT: Anyone know Jquery & JSON ?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Tue Nov 9 20:37:47 UTC 2010

On 09/11/10 18:55, Walter Stanish wrote:
>> Walter: having done "WAY too much of this stuff" maybe you could
>> enlighten me why I should always timestamp my AJAX queries.
>>
> Not sure where you read that, however...

Well that's what confused me, I didn't read it anywhere but jQuery just
seems to do it as a matter of course so I inferred it must be standard
practice in the world of AJAX.

> Anyway, placing a timestamp or random value within the URL
> itself can help to mitigate cache-related issues by ensuring that
> intermediary systems treat the query as unique and thus pass
> it through rather than returning a cached result.

Aah, that makes total sense now, thanks :)

> Re: unit-testing, commenting, libraries ... all good practice, but
> seems like smashing an egg with the death star.

Well this bit is quite simple but it's all part of a bigger suite of
tools I'm working on so I figure it wouldn't hurt to stay with the
program and document/test the living bejesus out of it.

> There's so many people getting on the web services bandwagon,
> where really http://$server/<$program>?arg1=value&arg2=value is
> already a perfectly reliable 'web service'.
>
> When in doubt, go minimal.
>
> - Walter

Thanks for the advice, that's a good rule of thumb although one should
always bear in mind Einstein's slightly longer version: "Make everything
as simple as possible, but not simpler". Part of the reason I started
the project I'm working on now is to try and overcome the shortcomings
of other lightweight CRM systems which started off with too simplistic a
database schema and too little separation between M, V and C.

Cheers,

Roger

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk