[Gllug] Dealing with "Word-Only" organisations

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Fri Nov 12 15:42:31 UTC 2010

On 2010-11-12 15:33, John Hearns wrote:
> On 12 November 2010 15:23, Rich Walker <rw at shadowrobot.com> wrote:
>> Oh: ObOnTopic: the said organisation came back to me and offered to test
>> a version of the form submitted from Open Office. No response to the
>> test, but still - some progress.
>
> Admitting my utter ignorance here, surely the answer should be "none
> of the above",
> ie. submitting information to a Gvt department shouldn't be done using
> forms in any brand
> of word processor.
>
> How should information like this be interchanged?
> Surely this should be done on some sort of structured document (XML).
> I guess at some point you need an application which populates the
> structured document - which should run with any browser.

I half see their point. They are clamping hard limits on amount of
material you can submit in each box, tracking which applicant you are,
and importing date from it into their evaluation database.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to get a copy of Word just to keep them
happy...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadowrobot.com
managing director      251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/              @shadowrobot
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk