[Gllug] OT: What is the REN of a modern powered phone?

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sun Nov 7 17:35:02 UTC 2010

On Sun 07 Nov, John Edwards wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 03:44:59PM +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> <snip>
> > It really DOES matter.  If you exceed a REN of 4, you will get strange
> > things happening, and BT will charge you money to tell you that you're
> > overloading their ringing circuit!
>
> Hi
>
> Just a bit of idle speculation for a Sunday - would connecting
> too many REN items to a phone line cause problems with ADSL?
>
> Or is it just the ring circuit that gets messed up?
>
> Would the ADSL filters prevent any interference?

   If you have many local outlets, each with its own ADSL filter, that mass
of wiring will itself degrade the ADSL. I have a replacement filter front
for the NTE5, so all my internal wiring is hidden as long as the filter is
working, but the inductors could saturate and not work with more than 4 REN
on.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk