[Gllug] Recommendations for servers

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Fri Nov 26 15:44:06 UTC 2010

Philip Hands <phil at hands.com> writes:

> While people are talking about converting RAID1 into RAID5, I thought
> I'd point at this:
>
>   http://www.baarf.com/
> and in particular:
>   http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/RAID5_versus_RAID10.txt
>
> which I find reasonably persuasive -- in these days of cheap disk (I
> just added a couple more 2TB disks that will be another RAID1 to my
> server today, for about £220)

I tend to go for adding pairs of drives in RAID-1 to one big VG.

With the odd bit of madness with MD for doing things like (fast RAID-0)
+ (slow-write-mostly partition) as RAID 1, or using NBD-server to export
  an LVM volume to a remote machine as part of RAID-1 there.

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadowrobot.com
managing director      251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/            | +44 7866 561014
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk