[Gllug] hourly/daily rate for linux systems admins?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Nov 23 14:00:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 01:24:31PM +0000, Steve Parker wrote:
> On 23/11/10 13:03, Jason Clifford wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-11-23 at 11:33 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> >
> >> Eg. One person
> >> who came to the interview was unable to confirm how many IP address's a
> >> single eth interface can host. While another instantly confirmed : 254.
> >>
> In what circumstance do you expect a typical sysadmin to have come
> across this? I can not think of a sensibly-designed system which would
> have such a requirement

He should be aware that there can be several IP addresses per MAC.
Quite how many - not important, the most that I have seen is about 6 on an intereface.

> Also, some firms use these questions to get answers without paying
> consultancy fees.

I have suffered that several times, turn up for some freelancing "how would you go about XXXX
and why ?" - later to find that the parasites just wanted the answers w/out paying.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk