[Gllug] Kerberos

Richard Lewis richardlewis at fastmail.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 22:54:40 UTC 2010

Hi GLLUG,

I've just tried to add a new user to a Debian unstable system I manage
on a virtual server but have run up against some sort of
authentication problem.

As normal, I used adduser:

  $ sudo adduser interface
  Adding user `interface' ...
  Adding new group `interface' (1002) ...
  Adding new user `interface' (1002) with group `interface' ...
  Creating home directory `/home/interface' ...
  Copying files from `/etc/skel' ...

But then it said this:

  Current Kerberos password:
  passwd: User not known to the underlying authentication module
  passwd: password unchanged
  Try again? [y/N] n

Hitting n continued like this:

  Changing the user information for interface
  Enter the new value, or press ENTER for the default
        Full Name []: Interface2011
        Room Number []:
        Work Phone []:
        Home Phone []:
        Other []:
  Is the information correct? [Y/n] y

It seems I can't set a password for this user now:

  $ sudo su interface
  $ passwd
  Current Kerberos password:
  passwd: User not known to the underlying authentication module
  passwd: password unchanged

I've heard of Kerberos and it all sounds great, but as far as I know,
I don't "use it" (if that's the right expression) on this system. And
I'd prefer just to use an ordinary UNIX password, because I just want
it to work.

I tried commenting out a line in /etc/pam.d/common-password:

  #password  requisite                   pam_krb5.so minimum_uid=1000
  password   [success=1 default=ignore]  pam_unix.so obscure use_authtok try_first_pass sha512

But I'm not whether: a) this has been effective; or b) would solve the
problem anyway.

Any ideas how to make it not try and use Kerberos?

Best,
Richard
--
Richard Lewis