[Gllug] OT: Anyone know Jquery & JSON ?

Progga proggaprogga at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 20:07:53 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 06:42:08PM +0000, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:

> Hi Walter, yes I was thinking that too, POST is just nicer, however I'm
> using pythons BaseHTTPServer and BaseHTTPResponseHandler classes which,
> as the name implies, are rather basic - to the extent they don't seem to
> actually include routines for extracting form data via either GET or POST!

I am assuming you have a very good reason for using BaseHTTPServer.  A few
months ago I needed to embed an HTTP server in my code and I found CherryPy
to be a nice one.  It is very well documented and so should not take more
than half-an-hour to learn.  It's also very light weight.  I was running it
in a tiny VPS (240MB RAM, the starting plan for Bitfolk).  Bitfolk's servers
are in Docklands AFAIK.  Sitting in Brighton, I could see inside Firebug that
Ajax requests from jQuery are finishing in 15 milliseconds.  That's when I
became a fan of CherryPy :-)

> Progga: After a good night sleep it's quite clear what is being tacked
> on IS definitely plain URL encoded data, what was confusing me was the
> field jQuery seems to have automatically appended to my query. On closer
> inspection this turns out to be a timestamp which I hadn't anticipated a
> need for in the design of my API and still can't quite see the point of
> however, if a big lib like jQuery has seen fit to make it mandatory I
> guess it must be needed somewhere.

You can't beat a good nights sleep :-)  As Walter has already mentioned,
the timestamp prevents caching.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk