[Gllug] hourly/daily rate for linux systems admins?

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 15 13:29:33 UTC 2010

On 14 November 2010 20:15, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-11-14 at 10:27 +0000, Oliver Howe wrote:
>> What is the going hourly/daily rate for Linux Systems Administration?
>> The work involves mostly remote admin, but a few onsite visits are
>> also required per month.
>> This is not a job advert, I am renegotiating my current arrangement
>> with my employer.
>
> My last Linux sys admin contract was in 2000 at £500 per day.

Those are long gone, unless you are a recognized and/or recognizable
authority in the field.

Several of my mates were getting those rates back then or thereabouts,
now they are happy with £350 or so,

The economic pressures have been just too strong (how do you compete
against a chap in India willing to put 12 hour work days charging 1/5
th of what one would charge locally? Quality, expertise and a proben
record can get you only so far, eventually it is down to money.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk