[Gllug] Dealing with "Word-Only" organisations

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Nov 12 18:28:16 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 03:20:28PM +0000, David Damerell wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 Nov 2010, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> >No, it's not an either or thing. Universities raison d'etre shouldn't be
> >to turning out as much cubicle fodder as fast as possible, but neither
> >should they be about churning out streams of completely hapless
> >academics.
>
> Someone who knows "how to learn", as Nix specifically put it, is
> hardly completely hapless.

I do think there's some sort of curve here.  Once they get to PhD
level, things can start to go wrong (or perhaps the people who keep
going to PhD level were "hapless academics" in the first place :-)

Oops, maybe this will annoy some people on the list ...  I've known a
handful of excellent programmers with PhD-level qualifications.  But
also a lot of real morons.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones